Sunday, May 3, 2015

Why all I really needed was Ecuador.

Wow, has it been a while or what?  I have been here for 100+ days but my time is winding down and I really am sad about it but I'm also excited to get back into my game in the States.  Well, at least for a short time.

A lot of people still ask me here and there why I chose Ecuador to study abroad and there are a number of reasons that I really thought were necessary to share so that my family and friends could kind of get a feel for it.

1. I really, really, really just cannot see myself in Europe.

--As an international security major, along with other things, I just could not picture myself in Europe.  I am not fashion forward, I have no desire to be, and let's be honest, I don't have the money for it.  All you Europe kids, you go!  I'm sure it's a wonderful place, but I like to be in the sticks in countries that are struggling because I think it's interesting to see how "the other half" lives.

2. Ecuador has E V E R Y T H I N G.

--I guarantee you that anything you could possibly want, Ecuador has.  Amazon rainforest?  Yep.  Galapagos Islands?  Yep.  Big cities?  You got it.  Mountains?  Sure, hope you love hiking.  Coast?  The beaches are beautiful.  Waterfalls? Lakes? Rivers? Craters? Open air markets?  ALL OF IT!

3. The language.

--Ecuador has some of the purest Spanish that I have ever heard spoken.  Despite their slang, the pronunciation is phenomenal and a perfect learning environment.

4. South America, in general.

--While I thought about Spain and even Cuba to study abroad in, I soon came to realize that Ecuador was going to be a new adventure.  I really knew nothing about the country's past or really even their present when I came here but I have learned SO much.

5. I needed to better myself.

--There is always room for improvement as a person, both for your personal benefit and for the benefit of people around you.  I am learning to NOT be a picky eater, for one.  For two, you learn what being genuine really means here; the people are friendly and hospitable.  It sounds so cheesy, but you really learn how to appreciate what you have and WHO you have when you're studying abroad.  You meet people who you know you're going to be leaving behind in 5 months or less, which for someone like me, is heartbreaking.  I have always loved meeting new people and leaving them behind is the worst, especially when you're not even going to be in the same country or on the same continent.  The brighter side is that that part also allows me to grow as a person and learn how to maintain relationships.

6. I wanted to prove that I could survive studying abroad in a "third world country" with no issue.

--I blew that proposition out of the water.  I didn't survive.  I thrived.




It's truly heartbreaking, ending another chapter in my life and uprooting and leaving more friends behind.  There are a number of things I am excited to return home to but other things I'm going to miss.

What will I do when I have to drive everywhere again?  When I don't wake up to seeing mountains every morning and having the comfort of Colombian arepas right around the corner?  When I don't wake up to three different kinds of fresh fruit, a scrambled egg, fresh fruit juice and fresh bread EVERY MORNING?  

I only have some days left to enjoy my time in Ecuador and that leaves me with teary eyes, but Oklahoma calls (only for a few weeks) and then back to COLOMBIA!  As this chapter ends, another one begins.  Maybe it will have to have English subtitles.  So I'll leave on this note.

But if these years have taught me anything it is this; you can never run away. Not ever. The only way out is in.
-Junot Diaz


No comments:

Post a Comment