Monday, December 15, 2014

End of Semester 5

Okay people, I know.  Those of you that actually read these so that you can keep up with me are a little bitter that I haven't posted in a long while, but it has been a BUSY semester.  I just wanted to share a number of moments this semester (in no particular order) that have been sufficiently awesome or made an impact.

1. After tirelessly planning our annual philanthropy event, Anchorsplash, with Delta Gamma, Veronica and I finished the event and managed to raise a sum of around $25,000 for Service for Sight.  It was easily one of the most stressful things I've ever done, but so worth it.


2. Kyleigh Hanes planned an awesome Lectureship and thanks to her, I was able to meet (and take a selfie) with Misty May-Treanor and let me tell you, she is one inspirational lady.


3. I accepted an internship with a political consulting firm this semester and absolutely loved it.  I met a number of awesome Oklahoma politicians, but the best part is that I enjoyed going to work because of the people I worked with.  Working with a bunch of liberals was refreshing because it made me feel like I was in DC again.  But seriously, what an incredible group.


4. I got to keep up with the Miracle Child that Delta Gamma sponsored in Soonerthon last year as well as keep up with her family and goodness, I can't help but absolutely adore the Rogers family.


5. I got even closer to my roommate of the last three years and she got to see me not only cry, but ugly cry for the first time ever; luckily, she accepted the fact that I hit my breaking point this semester between school and life and how busy I was and we'll be living together (FOURTH YEAR IN A ROW!!!) again next year. (Sorry for the picture Kristen, it's the only one I have...)


6. There's a bunch of other sub-lessons and half-important things that happened this semester so I'll just put them below in some bullet points because I don't have pictures of them..
  • My favorite class all semester was Politics of Russia and I have a new found interest in the region.
  • Studying abroad in Ecuador is a month away and I'm getting more and more excited as the time comes.
  • I'm still obsessed with what I'm studying in school, but the best part is that I have loved every single one of my professors.
  • French is hard, don't take it.
  • Business cards or a LinkedIn connection are the best compliment you can get in the professional world.
  • People have come and gone into and out of my life all semester.  You think you can't live without someone, but time passes and here you are, still kickin'.  Then the most unexpected people wander in and have another large impact.
  • I have one incredible mother and a couple sets of incredible grandparents who look out for me and are the most supportive people around.  Despite pushing me to my limits, they do it because they care.
  • 17 hours down, a position as philanthropy director within Delta Gamma, and an internship all completed through an incredible semester.
As you can tell, it was quite a semester.  I'm anxious to see what next semester has in store, as well as what next summer holds for me.  I read something kind of funny today that I thought was applicable to going to Ecuador next semester, it said:

"I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met."

On a lighter note, I'm hoping that this whole Life of Clegg blog is going to be a thing next semester in Ecuador so that you all can feel just as culture-shocked and confused as me; it's probably going to be pretty raw because I'll be panicking the first few weeks as I settle in.

OH!  Best part of the semester is that I've been able to keep up with so many people that I met in DC and have been continuously told that they can't wait to see me back.  Maybe I'll get paid this time around...

Until next time, y'all.


Great things never come from comfort zones.





No comments:

Post a Comment